<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Weekend to End Breast Cancer - part I 

Well, here we are only two days to go before the big walk for the Weekend to End Breast Cancer. If you visit my personal page, you'll see that I've reached my fund-raising target, and actually exceeded it by about $100. Thanks to everyone who supported my request for funds - donations ranged from $10 to $500, and every cent is very much appreciated. Of course, if you're reading this and you meant to donate but thought you'd missed the boat, the WTEBC site will stay open after the walk to accept late breaking dollars!

I'm kind of looking forward to taking part in this event, but I'm also approaching it with a little trepidation. I have stocked up with most of the blister treatment products known to man, I have a waist belt to carry my water bottle, I will be wearing my hat, and I've splurged on some functional (but not very attractive) items of clothing that are made completely of synthetic fibres. It sounds a bit mad but they say that for endurance events in hot conditions (Calgary will be 28 degrees on Saturday) cotton is the enemy, because if you sweat (as I most likely will!), cotton doesn't dry out and doesn't wick the moisture away from your skin. So, I took myself off to the Mountain Equipment Co-op and stocked up on coolmax socks, lurid salmon pink teeshirts and a couple of pairs of 'technical' shorts (pictures to come - unless they're too embarrassing!).

So, I head off to Calgary tomorrow morning and I'll go to work at my old office before heading off to register for the walk on Friday evening. Then its up bright and early on Saturday morning to do the first 35km.

More later...

P

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

  • The WeatherPixie


  • Site Meter


    Enter your email address below to subscribe to CarricktoCalgary!


    powered by Bloglet