<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

6 Months Gone (Dreaming of a White Christmas) 

And so this is Christmas
And what have we done?
Another year over
A new one just begun...


Calgary has begun to wind down (or should that be up?) for Christmas. I did a couple of clinics on Monday, then another clinic yesterday morning and that was me for Christmas. There's no more clinics or operating scheduled until January 4th, so I've got myself a nice wee Christmas break, unlike P who has to work for a living! Yesterday was spent getting some last minute presents and wrapping them, while today's highlight was our departmental Christmas lunch at the local Red Lobster (fish and chips a speciality, very nice). The malls were a bit mad on Tuesday, and it's only going to get worse as the week goes on... Tomorrow P is hoping to take a half-day, and I'm dropping down to Bowness to get the Jeep's steering wheel straightened out (it got a bit tilted during the last repair job). Then we have a turkey to pick up from the Bon Ton Meat Market on Christmas Eve, and a party to go to on Christmas Eve evening and after that it will be Santa-time! Followed by the First Inaugural White-Robson-Stewart-Breitmeyer Christmas Day Lunch and Festivities. It should be fun (don't worry, there will be plenty of pictures!)

This week it was 6 months since our arrival in Calgary (June 21st), and it's hard to believe that we've been here for such a long time - it's really flying past, and 25% of our time here is already gone! We've had a great time, done some things that we would never have done at home and made some good friends too. My fellowship has had a good start, and I've got my compulsory rotations done (radiation, pathology, breast, melanoma, head and neck) so that I can get stuck into some more interesting (i.e. more relevant to me) rotations in the 18 months ahead. I've been able to mix and match my remaining rotations to get some high-level experience that I would never get in N.I. eg. 3 months liver surgery, 2 months gynae oncology and 2 months uro-oncology. I'm really looking forward to getting started on my next rotation on January 4.

On the weather front: Minus 18 today, with light flurries in Calgary. It's gonna be cold overnight, then a bit warmer tomorrow and then we're expecting a Chinook on Christmas Eve. It'll drop back to zero for Christmas morning, though, with snow showers throughout the day and then Boxing Day will be baltic, forecasting -26!

Happy Christmas Eve Eve Eve to All

J

This is Christmas Eve (Eve Eve)
And we go off to bed
Hang our stockings up
In a little row
Then jump quickly into bed
And off to sleep we go


Comments:
hey u2! hope youse have a very merry christmas! from the windy banks of belfast lough!! (no snow) (at the minute +12c) don't take any northern bank tenners at the minute as you might get stung!! from Big Tim (Roy's mate)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

  • The WeatherPixie


  • Site Meter


    Enter your email address below to subscribe to CarricktoCalgary!


    powered by Bloglet