<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 04, 2005

Dateline Dublin 

5:30am British Summertime, Ballsbridge, Dublin, Free State, Tuesday July 05 The Year of Our Lord 2005 (10:30pm Rocky Mountain Time, yesterday)

Up with the sun this morning, still not quite sure what timezone I'm in. Had a late dinner on my own last night and hit the sack at 10pm or so. Managed to sleep through to about 5am or so, and then got up to try a webchat with Calgary. Managed to make the connection but seemingly the 'high-speed access' isn't quite high-speed enough to manage either a videochat or an audiochat. I'll try another chat with the Folks in the North later on to test the connection again, but I can't say I'm surprised that what you get for your 10€ a day internet access isn't exactly what it says on the tin. We ended up having to give up on the Internet option and use a Canadian phonecard instead. If you use an Irish phonecard to ring out, the hotel charges you 2€ a minute for the pleasure. This is Dublin after all, home of the shyster. "Eight chocolate bars for a pound" as we used to hear them cry on O'Connell Street.

Dublin is dirtier than I remember, sort of an off-shade of gray. They're digging up the middle of O'Connell Street and there are construction sidings everywhere. The Liffey looks dark and sluggish and what green there is is a dark, drab colour. It's overcast this morning, but it might brighten up a bit later on.

I think I'm a 5-minute walk from the RDS, which is where the conference is and it kicks off at 7:30am with registration, so I'd better get moving soon. At this rate, I'll be running out of steam again in the later afternoon, so I don't think I'll be going too far for dinner.

More later on...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

  • The WeatherPixie


  • Site Meter


    Enter your email address below to subscribe to CarricktoCalgary!


    powered by Bloglet